Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes are a fun and easy snack or appetizer that takes all the flavors you love in loaded mashed potatoes and puts them into a hand-held snack!
Not just any old mashed potatoes, but Bob Evans Mashed Potatoes! This is my second recipe to partner with them on and you guys… this recipe is incredible!
Did you catch my first recipe with them – Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf? Yeah, it’s as decadent as it sounds.
I’m totally guilty of taking a container of Bob Evans Original Mashed Potatoes and eating it straight from the tub… cold. I’m so embarrassed to admit that, but it’s true! Potatoes are my weakness, and I love how creamy and delicious these ones are!
One of my favorite things to do with these potatoes is to turn them into other amazing recipes. Think of it as a shortcut in the kitchen that makes your life easier!
All you have to do is combine all the fixin’s for a creamy loaded mashed potato into a bowl and stir them together, then just form the potatoes into little discs (this is a step that’s perfect for the kids!).
This recipe only calls for 1 egg, and I know that you’re looking at that picture above saying to yourself, “That Shawn is crazy, there are definitely two eggs there.”
You guys! I have backyard chickens… I grabbed one of their eggs for this recipe and it had TWO egg yolks in it!! I always think about those double yolk eggs and wonder how two baby chicks could possibly fit inside that tiny shell…
Anyways, once your discs of loaded mashed potatoes formed you’ll coat them with breadcrumbs and then pan fry them until golden crisp.
The only thing left to do is dip, scoop or dunk them in some sour cream (ranch dressing is a game changer) and enjoy!
You’re going to love these fluffy, crispy, loaded cheesy bites of goodness!
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes
- 1 24oz package Bob Evan’s Original Mashed Potatoes (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ½ cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoon vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream
- Ranch Dressing
- Chopped green onions
- Combine the mashed potatoes, both cheeses, crumbled bacon, flour, garlic powder, onions and egg in a large bowl and stir to combine. Chill the mixture, covered, for about 15 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Use an ice cream scoop with a trigger release handle to scoop potato mixture into small 2 inch rounds. Shape the rounds into 1/3 inch thick patties using your hands. Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and coat potato patties on both sides with breadcrumbs.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a cast iron or non-stick pan with the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook the potato patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown, and then place on a paper towel lined plate. Let cool slightly before enjoying. Dip in either sour cream or ranch dressing.
Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Bob Evans Foods. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make I Wash You Dry possible.