Get ready to take your mashed potatoes to the next level with this Loaded Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole!
I love mashed potatoes, and this year I’ve really kicked my mashed potatoes up a notch by adding a garlicky crunchy topping to them! No gravy needed here folks, these creamy loaded mashed potatoes can stand on their own!
These taters boast a half of a pound of bacon, diced green onions, loads of silky, creamy goodness thanks to the butter, cream, sour cream and handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese! Of course there is garlic in there as well…
I’m a huge garlic fan, so I loaded these potatoes with 5 cloves of garlic, and then used my favorite Garlic Olive Oil Pasta Chips to make a crispy topping that everyone is sure to love!
Pasta Chips are exactly what they sound like, chips that are made from pasta! And I’m completely addicted! They’re lightly baked and seasoned to perfection, for a wonderfully crunchy snack. I love the fact that they’re baked too, which means fewer calories and less guilt! The chips brown very nicely on top of the mashed potatoes, and the robust flavor of the Garlic and Olive Oil really shines through.
Whenever I make mashed potatoes, I always make sure to peel half of the bunch, but leave the peels on the remaining potatoes. I love the extra texture the peels adds, as well as all the vitamins and nutrients that the peels are famous for having.
Give this casserole a try and just watch it disappear!
Loaded Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole
Loaded Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole is the best way to take your mashed potatoes to the next level!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- 5 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 tbsp butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup diced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (you can use sharp cheddar if you prefer)
- 1/2 lb. thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Topping:
- 1 (5oz) package Garlic Olive Oil Pasta Chips
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. and lightly butter a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish.
- Peel half of the potatoes and leave the other half with skins on (if you prefer, you could remove all the skins). Cube the potatoes into small pieces and place in a large pot of lightly salted water. Bring the pot to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Meanwhile melt 8 tbsp of butter in a large skillet and add the garlic and green onions to the skillet, sautéing until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cream, milk, and melted butter mixture to the pot of potatoes. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Stir in the cheese, bacon crumbles, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- To prepare the topping, lightly crush the pasta chips and toss with 2 tbsp of melted butter, until evenly coated. Sprinkle the pasta chips over the mashed potatoes in an even layer and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta chips are a golden brown.
- Serve immediately!
Feel free to substitute the mozzarella with equal amounts cheddar. Just taste the potatoes before adding additional salt, as cheddar cheese tends to be a little more salty than mozzarella.
- Serving Size: 16
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Pasta Chips to create a recipe using their chips. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make I Wash You Dry possible.