Get ready to take your mashed potatoes to the next level with this Loaded Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole!
I love mashed potatoes, and this year I’ve really kicked my mashed potatoes up a notch by adding a garlicky crunchy topping to them! No gravy needed here folks, these creamy loaded mashed potatoes can stand on their own!
These taters boast a half of a pound of bacon, diced green onions, loads of silky, creamy goodness thanks to the butter, cream, sour cream and handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese! Of course there is garlic in there as well…
I’m a huge garlic fan, so I loaded these potatoes with 5 cloves of garlic, and then used my favorite Garlic Olive Oil Pasta Chips to make a crispy topping that everyone is sure to love!
Pasta Chips are exactly what they sound like, chips that are made from pasta! And I’m completely addicted! They’re lightly baked and seasoned to perfection, for a wonderfully crunchy snack. I love the fact that they’re baked too, which means fewer calories and less guilt! The chips brown very nicely on top of the mashed potatoes, and the robust flavor of the Garlic and Olive Oil really shines through.
Whenever I make mashed potatoes, I always make sure to peel half of the bunch, but leave the peels on the remaining potatoes. I love the extra texture the peels adds, as well as all the vitamins and nutrients that the peels are famous for having.
Give this casserole a try and just watch it disappear!
Make sure you don’t miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | BLOGLOVIN
Loaded Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole
- 5 lbs. russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 8 tbsp butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup green onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (you can use sharp cheddar if you prefer)
- 1/2 lb. bacon, thick cut, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Topping:
- 5 oz Garlic Olive Oil Pasta Chips
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. and lightly butter a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Peel half of the potatoes and leave the other half with skins on (if you prefer, you could remove all the skins). Cube the potatoes into small pieces and place in a large pot of lightly salted water. Bring the pot to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Meanwhile melt 8 tbsp of butter in a large skillet and add the garlic and green onions to the skillet, sautéing until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cream, milk, and melted butter mixture to the pot of potatoes. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Stir in the cheese, bacon crumbles, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- To prepare the topping, lightly crush the pasta chips and toss with 2 tbsp of melted butter, until evenly coated. Sprinkle the pasta chips over the mashed potatoes in an even layer and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta chips are a golden brown.
- Serve immediately!
Disclaimer: I was compensated by Pasta Chips to create a recipe using their chips. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make I Wash You Dry possible.
Hmmm my family does bake offs for any occasion we can get together for. I plan on making these potatoes. sure to be a hit and hopefully put me in the winners circle for once. So many good recipes out there. Hopefully Im the only one in the family that saw this one!
I live in Maryland, What is Garlic Olive Oil Pasta Chips and what can be a good substitute.
You could use potato chips or bread crumbs in place of the Pasta Chips!
It looks very good. I like to eat mashed Potatoes.
I like it very much.
Funny – I just saw a bag of Pasta Chips today and was wondering what they were like! Smart of you to use it as a topping for this casserole.
5 cloves of garlic sounds awesome to me. I like my food garlick-y!
Faith (An Edible Mosaic)
Wow, this looks amazing! So much flavor going on inside…and that crunchy topping is perfect!
Thanks Faith! It’s a definite winner! 🙂
Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh
Mashed potatoes with a crunchy topping? I think it should be every version of mashed potatoes. They are one of my favorite sides!
Thanks Joanna! 🙂
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust
I ate more than my fair share of Pasta Chips at BHF and I want a whole bag now. These mashed potatoes are EPIC!
Thanks Dorothy!! 🙂
These make the mashed potatoes I ate for lunch seem boring! I really like the idea of peeling only half of them. That would make for an interesting texture.
Yeah, the peels I think add a lot more texture. I’m a texture freak, so I love this casserole with all the different things going on.
This looks so good, especially that crunchy topping! Perfect comfort meal this time of year.
Thanks Matt! 🙂 It’s definitely comfort food kicked up a notch!
Carol at Wild Goose Tea
I love mashed potatoes. So I am pushover for this casserole. It’s certainly loaded. But not too much.
The mashed potatoes are still the star.
Thanks Carol, I’m sure you’ll love this one!
Oh yum! And what? Pasta CHIPS? I want!
I always leave the peels on my potatoes – partly because of laziness but also because growing up my mother always told us they had the most nutrients in them! haha
Oh yes, you definitely need to try some Pasta Chips! You’ll love them! 🙂
Holy cow! Mashed potatoes done right! Looks phenomenal!!!
Thanks Rachel! 🙂
Fantastic recipe that I might have to use this Thanksgiving! YUM!
I sure hope you enjoy it as much as we did! 🙂 Thanks Jeni!