This decadent, yet easy Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe is just 5 simple ingredients, ready in about 25 minutes and makes the most romantic dessert ever!
I originally shared this rich and gooey lava cake recipe back in 2012, but it was in desperate need of some updated pictures, as well as some updated recipe notes… plus I will never turn down the opportunity to eat chocolate cake.
Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
This copycat recipe is so quick and easy to make, you’ll be shocked! The recipe makes 4 mini lava cakes, but you can easily halve the recipe or double it to make more.
Ingredients for Lava Cakes
Here’s the basic list of what you’ll need in order to make these Chocolate Lava Cakes. As always, you can find the full list of ingredients located in the printable recipe card below.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate – I like to use the baking chocolate, but chocolate chips also work
- Powdered Sugar
- Eggs – both whole eggs and one egg yolk
- All Purpose Flour
How To Make Homemade Lava Cakes
Start by melting together some butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a large bowl.
You can either melt the combination over a double boiler, or in the microwave. I prefer the microwave because it’s faster.
Whisk powdered sugar into the chocolate mixture until it’s nice and smooth.
Add in 3 whole eggs and the yolk of another as well as a little flour and then whisk again until smooth.
Divide the chocolate cake mix into 4 small 1 cup ramekins that have been coated generously with non-stick spray.
Place the cups on a baking dish and bake in an oven at 400 degrees F. for about 15 minutes.
Allow the cakes to cool for at least 3 to 5 minutes before placing a plate on top and flipping over. Gently remove the cup by pulling straight up.
Commonly Asked Questions
This Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe is baked at a high temperature causing the outsides of the cake to bake quickly, while leaving the insides of the cake a hot gooey chocolate center.
YES! The internal temperature of the cake will rise above 160 degrees which is the safe temperature of eggs. You can check the temperature of your cakes to be sure.
You’ll want to use a high quality chocolate for this recipe for best results. I use the Semi-sweet baking bars by Baker’s, Ghirardelli, Nestle, or Lindt.
That being said, I have successfully used morsels (chocolate chips) for this recipe when in a pinch.
How to Bake Chocolate Lava Cakes
This recipe makes 4 chocolate lava cakes when baked in 8oz ramekins, but can also be prepared in a muffin tin (making 6 smaller cakes).
Tips For Success
The top of the lava cake will be slightly jiggly, but mostly set when you remove it from the oven, while the outsides should be set completely.
- Make sure to coat the ramekins or muffin pan with non-stick spray. I prefer to use the baker’s spray (the one with flour in it).
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet before placing in the oven for ease in removing.
- Make sure to let the chocolate lava cake rest for at least 3 to 5 minutes before inverting onto a plate to enjoy.
PRO TIP: If you’re having trouble getting the lava cake to release from the cup, carefully run a knife around the edge of the cake to help loosen it.
Make Ahead Chocolate Lava Cakes
Can you make these Chocolate Lava Cakes ahead of time if you’re having a dinner party?
You can mix up the chocolate cake batter up to 2 days ahead of time, separate it into the ramekins, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Let the cake batter come to room temperature before baking.
Can you FREEZE these Chocolate Lava Cakes and How Do You REHEAT Them?
Once the cakes have been baked, remove them from the ramekins and let them cool completely. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 weeks.
To reheat, unwrap cake and microwave on a microwave safe plate for 1 minute, or until heated through and chocolate center is still gooey.
These Chocolate Lava Cakes are the perfect dessert to go along with your romantic Valentine’s Day dinner, or any time you’re needing to satisfy that chocolate craving!
Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine chocolate and butter. Microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds. Whisk until the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, 3 WHOLE eggs and 1 egg YOLK, whisk till combined.
- Add 6 tbsp of flour and whisk until combined again.
- Liberally spray 4 small (1 cup) custard cups with non-stick cooking spray, and evenly fill with batter.
- Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for 15 to 16 minutes until the outer edges are set and the center is soft set.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes before inverting onto a plate. Serve with ice cream if desired and enjoy!
- You can mix up the chocolate cake batter up to 2 days ahead of time, separate it into the ramekins, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Let the cake batter come to room temperature before baking.
- Once the cakes have been baked, remove them from the ramekins and let them cool completely. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 weeks.
- To reheat, unwrap cake and microwave on a microwave safe plate for 1 minute, or until heated through and chocolate center is still gooey.
Helpful Products to Make This Recipe:
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: