Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Rice is a super quick and easy dinner that’s thrown together in minutes!
I drank the Instant Pot kool-aid and I’m absolutely hooked! Do you have a pressure cooker? If not, get one! It’s seriously life changing!
I bought the Instant Pot last month for my birthday and since then, I’ve been playing around with it and getting used to the way it cooks. One of my favorite things about a pressure cooker is how you can just throw everything in, push a couple buttons and in minutes you can have super tender meat and flavorful dishes.
Simply throw all the ingredients into the pressure cooker, give it a stir and pop the lid back on.
Push the Poultry button and adjust the timer to 12 minutes. Go grab a magazine and get some quality ME TIME before dinner is ready!
Yes, it’s seriously THAT EASY!
Here’s the thing with the Instant Pot – and maybe you already know this – when a recipe says it takes 12 minutes, that doesn’t include the time it takes for the pot to “come to pressure.”
- Expect at least 10 to 15 minutes before the pot is pressurized
- The 12 minute timer will start to count down.
- This recipe tastes best when you let the pressure naturally release (another 10 to 15 minutes)
- Total time from actual start to finish – you’re looking at close to 45 minutes, but keep in mind, this is totally hands free cooking!
So, is the Instant Pot totally worth it? YES!
I’ve fallen in love with the ease of just tossing in all the ingredients and having super tender chicken, shredded pork, and fluffy rice. Beans are next on my list of things to make, so I’ll keep you posted on that!
I have even used the IP as a slow cooker with equal success, so it’s a great all around tool to have in your kitchen.
If you’re looking for your first (or next) Instant Pot recipe to try, give this Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Rice a try! You’re going to love it!
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Rice
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 14oz cans diced, chili-ready tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup fresh, or canned corn kernels
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded marbled cheddar
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Sour cream
- Diced tomato
- Diced avocado
- chopped cilantro
- Combine the chicken, diced tomatoes, onion, corn, rice, lime juice, garlic salt, cumin, butter and water in the pot of your pressure cooker and stir to combine. Set to the POULTRY setting for 12 minutes with the steam release valve in the closed position.
- Let the pressure cooker naturally release pressure (about 10 to 15 minutes). Stir the mixture to fluff the rice. Add in the 1 cup cheese and 1/3 cup chopped cilantro and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve in bowls, with optional taco toppings if desired. Enjoy!
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE!