This super quick and easy Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe is filled with tomatillos, green chiles and a little jalapeño, sautéd and then blended to your preferred consistency. Perfect for topping burritos, enchiladas and even great as a salad dressing!
Ever since I’ve shared my Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce, everyone is keeps asking me for a Green Sauce version. I’m finally sharing my favorite recipe and once you try this sauce, you’ll never go back to buying canned again!
How To Make Green Enchilada Sauce:
- Start by sautéing diced onion, jalapeño and garlic in some olive oil until they are softer and tender.
- Add in some chopped tomatillos and cook another minute or two until softened.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, along with some canned chiles, chicken broth, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Blend until desired consistency is reached.
Green Chile Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
While this recipe calls for canned green chiles you can easily roast your own Anaheim Chiles. I prefer to use the canned version when I’m in a pinch for time.
- Onion – I like to use a yellow onion, but you can also use white onions.
- Jalapeño – remove the seeds for a more mild sauce, but keep them in if you like it spicy.
- Tomatillos – green tomatoes that are wrapped in a paper-like husk. Remove the paper husk and wash well before chopping.
- Garlic – you can use fresh garlic or minced from a jar.
- Chicken Broth – you can also use veggie broth for a vegetarian option.
- Cumin – I love adding this spice to Mexican dishes because it gives it a great earthy flavor.
How To Store Green Enchilada Sauce:
You can use this sauce right away or store it in the fridge for up to 7 days, freeze for up to 5 months.
How To Can Enchilada Sauce:
- Process your lids as directed by the manufacturer
- Wash and rinse your pint size jars and keep hot until ready to fill
- Ladle the green enchilada sauce into the jars, leaving about 1/2″ of headspace. Wipe the rims with a damp cloth and seat the lids. Put on the rings and tighten finger tight.
- Process at 6 lbs. pressure for 20 minutes, following the directions that came with your pressure canner.
How To Use Enchilada Sauce:
This green enchilada sauce is delightfully tangy with a nice kick of spice. We love to use this sauce on chicken enchiladas, smothering burritos, in salads and also a great sauce to season chicken or pork!
More Mexican Recipes To Try –Print
Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe
This super quick and easy Homemade Green Enchilada Sauce Recipe is filled with tomatillos, green chiles and a little jalapeño, sautéd and then blended to your preferred consistency.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 cups 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos (about 3 large)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
- 4 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a pan over medium high heat and sauté the onion, jalapeño and garlic until tender and slightly charred. Stir in the tomatillos and cook for an additional 2 minutes, until softened.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender along with the remaining ingredients and process until your desired consistency is reached.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days, or freeze for up to 5 months. Enjoy!
Keywords: Enchilada Sauce, Green, Chiles, Mexican, Enchiladas
PIN THIS IMAGE TO SAVE THE RECIPE: