Easy French Onion Soup Recipe
This quick and easy French Onion Soup Recipe is filled with caramelized onions in an aromatic beef broth, then topped with melty gooey cheese!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: serves 4 1x
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced thin
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2–3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup garlic croutons
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- In a large pot melt butter and combine onions, thyme and bay leaf over medium high heat. Stir and cook onions for about 20 minutes or until really soft and tender.
- Add red cooking wine and stir, breaking up any browned bits on the bottom of pan, let liquid reduce to half the amount. Sprinkle with flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in the beef broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaf.
- Meanwhile turn your oven on to broil and prepare oven safe bowl on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, divide the croutons among the bowls, top each bowl with a slice of cheese. Carefully place in oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Use caution when serving, as the bowls will be HOT! Enjoy!
You can use other types of cheese like Swiss, Gruyere, or Gouda in place of the Havarti.
Keywords: French, onion soup, croutons