Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a warm hearty dinner that is easily prepared and adaptable to what you like!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 (15oz) can Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 1/2 cups grilled corn kernels, from about 2 ears of corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- optional garnish: diced avocado, chopped cilantro
- Blend the diced tomatoes, garlic and onion powder in a blender until smooth, then pour into a large Dutch oven and cook on medium-high heat until the liquid has reduced to half, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, chicken and corn, and then season with the cumin and chili powder. Taste the soup and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the 3 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and then stir into the soup. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the tortilla strips among the serving bowls, ladle in the soup and top with cheese and any other optional garnish you desire.
Tip: Bulk up this soup by using a Southwest blend of frozen vegetables that contains peppers, corn, onions, etc.
From my cookbook, Express Lane Cooking
Keywords: chicken, corn tortilla, soup, chicken broth, corn, tomatoes