Hold on to your hats folks, this Cheesy Pesto Crack Bread is completely off the charts!
If you’re looking for a super quick and easy appetizer to serve to a crowd, then this bread is what you want.
All that cheese… warm and crusty bread… buttery garlic pesto sauce… COME TO MAMA!
I found this large round Italian loaf in the bakery section of my local grocery store. At first I was considering making a cheese dip to go inside the bread bowl, similar to this one.
But then I thought it would be fun to create a pull apart bread with the bread. I’ve seen several types of these crack breads on the internets that are filled with butter, garlic and parsley, but I had a jar of pesto in my fridge that was calling my name and a lightbulb went off.
After you cut slits into the bread, simply mix up some melted butter and pesto then pour it into all the cracks of the bread, and then stuff with shredded mozzarella cheese.
It may look like a laborious task, but it’s actually really quick to pull off.
Wrap up the whole loaf in tinfoil (even the top) and bake until the cheese gets super melty inside.
Then, once it’s all melty on the inside, uncover the top and let it bake for a few more minutes to the bread gets a little crispy.
Garnish with some finely chopped parsley and set it out for your guests to dig in!
The buttery and cheesy bread is simply irresistible!
I don’t want to admit how much of this bread I ate… a lot. I ate a LOT.
HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
Cheesy Pesto Crack Bread
All that cheese… warm and crusty bread… buttery garlic pesto sauce… YUM!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: serves 4 to 6 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 large Italian round loaf (found in the bakery section)
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 tbsp prepared basil pesto
- 3/4 – 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut long rows in the loaf of bread, about 1 inch apart, but do NOT cut through the bottom of the loaf. Turn the loaf 90 degrees and cut more rows, about 1 inch apart, but not cutting through to the bottom.
- Combine the melted butter and pesto in a small dish and carefully open the cracks of the bread to drizzle the sauce in. If needed, use a pastry brush to get in between the cracks.
- Carefully stuff each crack with the mozzarella cheese, evenly around the entire loaf. Place the loaf on a sheet of tinfoil and fold up sides, place another sheet of foil on top and cover completely. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese in center is melted. Uncover the loaf and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Keywords: cheese, pesto, italian bread, easy, melted